First Steps

What happens when someone passes away.

It is normal to have many questions and be unsure of what to do if someone dies but at J Young & Son, we will guide you through every step and be that helping hand that you need. Whether the death is sudden or expected, we understand that for you and your loved ones, this is an extremely sad time and we will do all we can to ease the process. When someone passes away there are several steps you need to take to inform the right people, fill in legal documents and register the death.

If your loved one dies at home:

• You will need to contact the doctor of the deceased and inform them of the death. If the doctor decides that there is no need for a coroner to intervene, he/she will supply you with a Medical Certificate of Cause of Death and will advise you to contact your funeral director.
• Once we have been contacted, we will arrange for the deceased to be taken into our care where we will carry out all of your requests such as dressing, caring for their belongings and arranging viewings if you would like to.
• If the doctor does not agree that the death certificate can be signed or there is an inquest, they will refer to the coroner and a postmortem may need to take place. If this occurs, liaise with the coroner and your funeral director for further information.
• If your loved one has died unexpectedly, you will need to inform the police who will advise as above and they may put the deceased into the care of the coroner

If your loved one dies in hospital:

• Care staff may liaise with the doctor on your behalf and the process remains the same as outlined above.

If your loved one dies in a Hospice or Care Home:

• Care staff may liaise with the doctor on your behalf and the process remains the same as above.

If your loved one dies on holiday or outside of the UK:

• If this occurs, contact us as soon as possible for us to be able to liaise with authorities and ensure a quick transition to be able to bring your loved one back home.

Who do I need to inform?

• The doctor – call the medical practice and inform the staff of the recent death.
• Contact a funeral home/director and begin to arrange the funeral.

What documents do I need?

• • The registrar will contact you by phone to make a telephone appointment with you to register the death. Once the registration has taken place, the death certificate will be sent out to you by post.

Who can register the death?

• Usually this responsibility is that of the relatives of the deceased however if there are no relatives, a person who was with the deceased at the time of their death or someone who is arranging the funeral can register the death.

What if the coroner is involved?

• If the coroner is involved, the process may take slightly longer. In this instance, the coroner will provide you with further instruction. They will also provide a notification to the registrar for the registration of the death to proceed.

j young and son funeral directors doncaster logo

At J Young & Son, we strive to provide an exceptional personal service, being available 24 hours a day allows you to contact us with any question or query to help ease your worry at such an upsetting time. We pride ourselves with the careful planning and delivering an outstanding service send off worthy for your loved one.

> Contact Us